Press contact: Helen Dalrymple (202) 707-1940

August 8, 2005

MEDIA ADVISORY

George and Ira Gershwin Room Closes on Aug. 13 for Construction

The George and Ira Gershwin Room on the ground floor of the Thomas Jefferson Building, 10 First St. S.E., will close on Saturday, Aug. 13, to prepare for construction related to the tunnel from the Capitol Visitor Center.

Opened to the public on March 17, 1998, the Gershwin Room is a permanent exhibition area for materials from the Library’s extensive George and Ira Gershwin Collection. Included in the display are George’s piano and desk, Ira’s typing table and typewriter, self-portraits of both brothers and other documents that chronicle the lives and careers of the two artists.

The Gershwin Room will reopen in the same location when the tunnel construction is completed.

# # #

PR 05-166
08/08/05
ISSN 0731-3527

Back to top