What's NEW on the Science Reference Service Web
- Solitude of a Humble Genius – Gregor Johann Mendel Professor: Volume 1 – Formative Years. Author Jan Klein and illustrator Norman Klein discuss their book. Jan Klein is the former director of the Max Planck Institute for Biology at Tübingen, Germany, and currently the Francis R. and Helen M. Pentz Visiting Professor of Science and adjunct professor of biology at Pennsylvania State University.
- How to Manage a Satellite Going 17 Thousand Miles per Hour -
NASA Scientist Steven J. Covington told the story of Landsat 5, which was launched in 1984 for a three-year lifetime and was kept alive for nearly 29 years through ingenuity and luck.
- Science Literacy: Bridging the Chasm
Between Science and Public Policy - by Dr. Mark Frankel,
Director, Scientific Responsibility,
Human Rights and Law Program,
American Association for
Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- "Climate Change Policy: Updates" by Dr. Peter C. Frumhoff, Ph.D., Union of Concerned Scientists.
- "How to Put Your Brain on the Internet: Lessons from a Cyborg." - Lecture and book signing by science writer Michael Chorost, author of World Wide Mind: The Coming Integration of Humanity, Machines, and the Internet.
- By Endurance We Conquer:
Ernest Shackleton and the Imperial
Trans-Antarctic Centenary Expedition 2014 - presented by Joanne Davies, FRGS, expedition leader, and other expedition members who discuss the history of the 1914 expedition and their planned centenary expedition.
- "Looking Homeward Toward Earth: The Power of Perspective" presented by Waleed Abdalati, PhD., NASA.
- "Human Migration, Malaria, and Modernization in the Pacific" by Professor Koji Lum, SUNY Binghamton.
Sponsored by the Science, Technology and Business Division and Library of Congress Asian American Association.
- My Winter in Greenland
and Summer in Antarctica, presented by Lora Koenig, PhD, of NASA's Cryospheric Sciences Laboratory speaks about doing field research for months at a time on the ice in challenging darkness, frigid temperatures and high winds.
- Beyond Hubble: A New Era of Astronomy with the James Webb Space Telescope, presented by Dr. Amber Straughn.
- Man, Food, and Fire: The Evolution of Barbecue - presented by Steven Raichlen, who has won several
Science Reference Services
- Business Reference