Bibliographic Framework Initiative (BIBFRAME) Update - November 22, 2013
As part of the Library of Congress' "Digital Futures and You" series, Beacher Wiggins sponsored a Bibliographic Framework Initiative (BIBFRAME) Update on November 22. Introduced by Wiggins, Sally McCallum from the Library of Congress reviewed progress and plans for the project, Vinod Chachra from VTLS described his testing of BIBFRAME in implementations, and Eric Miller of Zepheira gave a glimpse of the input module that Zepheira has been developing as part of their contract with the Library of Congress.
BIBFRAME Update Forum at ALA Annual - June 30, 2013
This presentation addressed multiple facets of the development of BIBFRAME and how it will attempt to span the different data models of the library and related communities. Two institutions that are experimenting with the general model were asked to report, along with a discussion of its relationship to schema.org, the recent search engine attempt at standardization. Speakers included: Roberta I. Shaffer & Sally McCallum (Library of Congress); Eric Miller (Zepheira); Jeremy Nelson (Colorado College); Vinod Chachra (VTLS, Inc.); and Carol Jean Godby (OCLC Research).
BIBFRAME Update Forum at ALA Midwinter - January 27, 2013
The Library of Congress sponsored an update forum on the Bibliographic Framework Transition Initiative ALA Midwinter Meeting on January 27, 2013. Speakers included: Roberta I. Shaffer, Sally McCallum, Kevin Ford & Beacher J.E. Wiggins (Library of Congress); Ted Fons (OCLC); Eric Miller (Zepheira); and, Reinhold Heuvelmann (Information Standards Specialist at the Deutsche Nationalbibliothek).
- "Experience with the Bibframe Model," [PDF, 1.2 MB] , Presented by Reinhold Heuvelmann
- "The Early Experimenters Experience & What's Happening at OCLC," [PDF, 1928 KB], Presented by Ted Fons
- "BIBFRAME and the World Wide Web," [PDF, 7673 KB], Presented by Eric Miller
- "BIBFRAME: Proposed Roadmap," [PDF, 324 KB], Presented by Sally McCallum
New Bibliographic Framework Initiative Update Forum with Eric Miller- July 16, 2012The new Bibliographic Framework Initiative is focused on the Web environment, Linked Data principles and mechanisms, and the Resource Description Framework (RDF) as a basic data model. Zepheira, led by Eric Miller, will provide both a model (or models) to serve as a starting point for discussion and an analysis of related initiatives. Miller spoke to Library of Congress staff with an overview of the project and a report of progress to date.
- "LC Bibliographic Framework Initiative: An Update" [PDF, 692 KB]
(November 29, 2012) Presented by Kevin Ford
- "Bibliographic Framework Initiative Approach for MARC Data as Linked Data" [PDF, 513 KB]
(September 13, 2012) Presented by Sally McCallum
- "Bibliographic Framework Initiative: Data from MARC," [PDF, 300 KB]
LITA/ALCTS Formats Transition Interest Group (ALA Midwinter, January 26, 2013), Presented by Sally McCallum
- "When URIs become authority: Benefits and challenges of library Linked Data," [PDF, 420 KB]
ALCTS Subject Analysis Committee (SAC) (ALA Midwinter, January 28, 2013), Presented by Kevin Ford