When applying to join BIBCO, institutions agree to a set of membership and record contribution requirements:
To meet BIBCO Membership Requirements, applicant/participant institutions:
- Are active NACO contributors independent of further NACO review
- Once accepted as a BIBCO library, OCLC members must obtain National Level Enhance authorizations from OCLC in order to contribute BIBCO records to WorldCat.
- Undergo a BIBCO orientation/training session, using materials provided by the PCC. Instruction may be online or in a classroom. If a BIBCO Regional Trainer visits, the library receiving instruction covers the travel, lodging, and meals of the trainer.
- Submit records for review and receive feedback from a reviewer after training to reach independent status. The length of the review period is determined by the reviewer in consultation with the institution's BIBCO liaison and/or the BIBCO Coordinator.
- Name a BIBCO Contact to coordinate local activities on the local level and to communicate with the BIBCO Coordinator at LC and other PCC partners.
- Support the possible service of attendance of BIBCO representatives to the PCC Operations Committee meeting (OpCo). OpCo meets annually for a Thursday/Friday in the spring in Washington, DC. For more information, see:
To meet BIBCO Record Contribution Requirements, member institutions:
- Designate their BIBCO records with MARC field “042 pcc,” but are not required to designate all of their cataloging as BIBCO records.
- Contribute a minimum of 100 bibliographic records annually.
- Make their BIBCO records available in a timely manner as a mark of quality.
- Support all access points on BIBCO records with authority records. (Note: controlling series access points is a local option.)
- Use the following documentation:
- RDA Toolkit
- LC-PCC PSs
- BIBCO Standard Record models for each format (RDA or AACR2 models)
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules 2nd rev. (For those following AACR2)
- Library of Congress Rule Interpretations (LCRIs) (For those following AACR2)
- MARC 21 Format for Bibliographic Data
- ALA-LC Romanization tables
- Assign at least one or two subject headings (at the appropriate level of specificity) from an established thesaurus or subject heading system recognized by the MARC 21 Format on BIBCO records e.g., ATT, MeSH, LCSH.
- If using LCSH, follow current LC documentation (Note: Certain topics may require multiple headings; 10 is the maximum, cf. Subject Headings Manual H 180)
- Assign a classification number on BIBCO records for textual or cartographic materials from an established classification system supported by the MARC 21 format e.g., Dewey, LC Classification (LCC).
- If using LC Classification, follow current documentation issued by LC or in commercially available versions of the schedules.
- If not tracing series, are exempt from creating series authority records for unestablished series and may code these series as MARC field 490 first indicator 0 on BIBCO records.
- If tracing series on BIBCO records, follow the series policies and procedures as stated in the LC Descriptive Cataloging Manual Z1 supplement to the MARC 21 Format for Authority Data and the LC-PCC PSs.
For more information contact BIBCO Coordinator.